“The business of business should not just be about money, it should be about responsibility, it should be about public good, not private greed”
— Dame Anita Roddick, Founder of The Body Shop
The Body Shop Indonesia was founded in 1992 by Suzy Hutomo and her husband, Hutomo Santoso, who share the same vision with the late Dame Anita Roddick on how business should be. The Body Shop Indonesia was opened in 1992 with 7 employees, and currently we have more than 140 stores across cities throughout Indonesia with 1,300 employees supporting our Head Office, Distribution Centre, and Retail Stores.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE & VALUES
In 2016, The Body Shop® launched Commitment, Enrich Not Exploit™ as new global CSR strategy that will underpin all aspects of company operation and supports the mission of The Body Shop® to be the world’s most ethical and sustainable global business. The Commitment is divided into three pillars, which are enrich our people, enrich our products and enrich our planet.
The Body Shop Indonesia is also a pioneer in recycling & waste management program, we started “Bring Back Our Bottles” campaign in 2008, being the first company in Indonesia to do so. This campaign allows customers to get involved by bringing their empty bottles back to our stores and we partner with several non-profit waste management foundations in Indonesia, such as Waste 4 Change, ecoBali Recycling, and Yayasan Buddha Tzu Chi to collect empty bottles and recycle it into new products and household tools.
Our commitment to be mindful of our environmental footprints is also reflected in our workplace culture. Our Head Office and Distribution Centre is Green certified. Our office applies Green Behaviors standard by prohibiting single-use plastics (plastic straw, plastic cup/lids, plastic cutleries), and we encourage employees to bring their own reusable shopping bag, tumbler and food container. A strict “No Styrofoam in The Office” policy is also applied. In Head Office, we save 49% of electricity consumption by installing 409 m2 of Solar Panel.
OUR PEOPLE FRAMEWORK & TRANSFORMATION
80% of our employees are Millennials & Gen Z, who are more likely to respond positively to agile and easily accessible digital solutions. Initiated in 2017, The Body Shop Indonesia has been undergoing Digital Transformation in all aspects, including in Human Capital.
The transformation in Human Capital is reflected in our People Framework, consisting of 6 pillars:
- Talent Acquisition; centralizing all our recruitment process to digital platform. By using this platform, we manage to efficiently reduce fulfilment time and streamline our recruitment process.
- Performance Management; implementing new cloud-based online platform, which can be accessed anywhere at any time. Efficiently reduce the manual administration work and provide easy, real-time access to employees.
- Learning & Development; implementing digital learning. By going digital, we manage to convert classroom training to e-learning. We also created avatar named “Dara”, to virtually host the learning journey. Recently, we just opened our Learning Centre in our Head Office where the space can accommodate 200 participants at the same time.
- Employee Engagement; undergo office renovation that is modern, comfortable, open, and attractive while providing full-scaled facility for employees. We also run systematic employee events to keep the motivation and engagement of our employees, ranging from Financial Planning course, Zumba class, beauty class, and many more.
- Employee Relations; creating a transparent, open, honest communication channel to employees.
- HR Analytics; transforming our HRIS to digital and user-friendly system, and emphasizing on Employee Self Service to streamline every process.
The Body Shop Indonesia have received recognition externally, with our recent awards being:
- 2019 HR Excellence Award by SWA Magazine (HR Transformation, Learning & Development, and Retention Strategy)
- 2018 Jakarta Without Plastic Bag by Governor of DKI Jakarta
- 2018 Indonesia’s Best Corporate Social Initiative by Mix Magazine
- Best Beauty Product from Harper’s Bazaar Magazine, Cosmopolitan, and Female Daily Network.