[Hong Kong, 13 March 2015] Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, New World Development Company Limited (0017.HK) and Yahoo! Hong Kong Limited are among 20 winners of the HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in AsiaTM 2015.
The awards, organised by HR trade journal – HR Asia, saw 137 companies competing to be known as the best workplaces in Hong Kong and Asia.
The Awards is based on a proprietary survey developed by HR Asia and encompasses employees’ feedback and input, and management comments and presentation. In total, 5,000 Hong Kong employees were surveyed to determine their intention and motivation, emotional engagement and advocacy of their respective employers.
“This is one of the most extensive surveys on employee engagement and workplace practices in this region. Since embarking on the project last year, HR Asia has discovered that many of these companies – both local and international – have workplace practices that are the best in the world,” said William Ng, group editor-in-chief of Business Media International, the publishers of HR Asia.
The Awards covers 12 markets across Asia,
Good Employers Score Higher
Survey participants were asked affirmative statements about their employers, and either agree or disagree with each of the statements. Based on these answers across the survey, the top 3 areas that employees in Hong Kong agree about their jobs are:
1. Understanding expectation at work
2. Meet or exceed customer expectations
3. Looking for better ways to improve work
On the other hand, the 3 areas that score the lowest in the survey (i.e. the ones which the employees feel their companies can improve on) are:
1. Lack of confidence in the senior management team
2. Not fully informed about what’s going on
3. Not trusted to do work without interference
“Happy employees see long term growth potential and opportunity for progress in their workplace. They get along well, not just with their fellow colleagues but also with their superiors,” shared Ng.
“Most of the employees in the winning companies enjoy job satisfaction in what they do. They believe that they are providing value to their companies and are appreciated for their contributions. An important factor is that these employees have fostered a sense of ownership within the companies that they work for. Employees are motivated and empowered to do their best, because they realise that there will be recognition and reward for their efforts,” he added.
“It is no co-incidence that companies listed in the Best Companies to Work for in Asia™ are also performing well financially. Employers that create benchmark setting workplaces and are better at engaging employees, do well in both recruiting and retaining talents – the most crucial differentiator in today’s talent economy”, said Ng.
HR Asia Best Companies to Work For in Asia™ 2015 – Hong Kong
(in alphabetical order)
1. A.S. Watson & Co., Limited
2. Ageas Insurance Company (Asia) Limited
3. Arrow Asia Pac Ltd.
4. British American Tobacco Asia-Pacific Region Limited
5. FrieslandCampina (Hong Kong) Limited
6. G2000 (Apparel) Limited
7. GCL-Poly Energy Holdings Limited
8. Janco International Freight Limited
9. Kimberly-Clark (Hong Kong) Limited
10. Knorr-Bremse Asia Pacific (Holding) Limited
11. Microsoft (Hong Kong) Limited
12. New World Development Company Limited
13. Qi Group Hong Kong
14. Starbucks Hong Kong
15. The China Engineers, Limited
16. The Excelsior, Hong Kong
17. Tsui Wah Holdings Limited
18. Tung Wah Group of Hospitals
19. UA Cinema Circuit Limited
20. Yahoo! Hong Kong Limited