Twenty-one companies in Hong Kong were named among the best companies to work for in Asia by HR Asia Magazine, in a survey that covered over 4,700 employees across the country.
Winners of the award are selected from 126 nominees among 20 industries, based on a proprietary survey that assesses the company’s working environment, HR practices, employee engagement and the resulting job satisfaction.
Companies named as the HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in Asia include Avery Dennison Hong Kong B.V., Kimberly-Clark (Hong Kong) Limited, LKK Health Products Group Limited, MTR Corporation Limited, Qi Group Hong Kong and Swarovski Hong Kong Limited.
“The organisations who will be named in tonight’s Hong Kong edition were endorsed by their own employees. These companies have a track record of building and managing an excellent work culture. Being selected is not an easy feat. Many of the 126 nominees across Hong Kong are equally tuned in when it comes to being good employers,” said Caroline Ang, General Manager of Business Media International, the publisher of HR Asia Magazine.
The Awards covers 12 markets across Asia, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Good Employers Score Higher
Survey participants were asked affirmative statements about their employers, and either agree or disagree with each of the statements. Based on these answers across the survey, the top 3 areas that employees in Hong Kong agree about their jobs are:
- Knowing What is Expected of the Employee at Work
- Willingness to Go the Extra Mile for the Organisation’s Success
- Receiving feedback on Work and Performance
On the other hand, the 3 areas that score the lowest in the survey (i.e. the ones which the employees feel their companies can improve on) are:
- Receiving Recognition for Doing Good Work
- Informed about the Going-on in the Organisation
- Receiving Reward for Doing Good Work
“The result is one of the toughest, most measurable surveys in the region – which sets the HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in Asia award ahead of other programmes in the market. Fact is – we maintain the same stringent criteria and judgement process in every country that this award is conducted in,” Ang shared.
“The key findings in Hong Kong this year are somewhat similar to our past surveys around the region. They are consistent with the assessments in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong last year, as well as the recent Indonesian survey which just concluded a few months ago,” Ang added.
Award an Inspiration for Good Employers
Many of the recipients were overwhelmed on being named among the Best Companies to Work for in Asia, with most crediting their employees for the achievement.
“Avery Dennison as the leader in our industry is committed to environmental sustainability, socially responsible and ensuring employees’ well-being are taken care of. We are pleased to receive this award as a recognition of our effort towards creating a positive working environment that is appreciated by our employees.” Says Alex Yeung, Director of Human Resources Shared Services (Asia Pacific), Avery Dennison Hong Kong B.V.
“Not everybody can be famous but everybody can be great.” (Martin Luther King). “It is the great people, every one of them, in Kimberly Clark (Hong Kong) who make this organization a best company to work for,” says April Lai, Managing Director, Kimberly-Clark (Hong Kong) Limited.
“Winning this award demonstrates that we have provided our employees with excellent conditions and opportunities to develop. This is our first Employer Award received from overseas, and a good recognition of what we have done for our people to achieve tri-balance of health, family and business” says Sammy Lee, Chairman & Managing Director, LKK Health Products Group Limited.
“We are proud that MTR is recognised as a great place to work by our staff. Our people are the foundation of MTR’s success and this Award is a reflection of our commitment to inspiring, engaging and developing our staff to unleash their potential.” says Daniel Shim, Acting Human Resources Director, MTR Corporation Limited.
“This is our second year to have Qi Group and its Hong Kong Staff recognized. We are extremely proud of our people and our result. I believe our ability to challenge ourselves, status quo & dare to be different is what has set us apart for the past 18 years. We have a passionate and committed Human Resources management team, focused on sustaining and reinforcing our strong corporate culture that enables individualism among our people,” says Richard E Zinkiewicz, Group Managing Director, Qi Group Hong Kong.
“Our people are our valuable assets. By taking good care of our people today we are investing for our future success,” says Tom Tran, Managing Director, Swarovski Hong Kong Limited.
Hong Kong Recipients of the HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2016
- A.S. Watson & Co., Limited (Retail)
- Avery Dennison Hong Kong B.V. (Label and Packaging)
- Avnet Technology Hong Kong Limited (Avnet Technology Hong Kong Limited)
- Fuji Xerox (Hong Kong) Limited (Information and Communications Technology)
- Hong Kong Ferry (Holdings) Co. Ltd. (Property Development and Ferry Service)
- Johnson Electric Industrial Manufactory Limited (Manufacturing)
- Kimberly-Clark (Hong Kong) Limited (Fast Moving Consumer Goods)
- LKK Health Products Group Limited (R&D, Manufacturing and Retailing, Herbal Health Products)
- MTR Corporation Limited (Transportation)
- New World Development Company Limited (Property Development)
- NWS Holdings Limited (Investment Holding)
- Pfizer Corporation Hong Kong Limited (Pharmaceutical)
- Qi Group Hong Kong (E-Commerce Based Conglomerate)
- SAS Institute Ltd (Hong Kong) (Information Technology)
- Sino Group (Real Estate)
- Societe Generale Asia Pacific (Financial Services)
- Swarovski Hong Kong Limited (Retail & Wholesales)
- Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (Charitable Organization)
- United Overseas Bank Limited (Bank)
- Vinci Construction Grands Projets (Construction)
- Yahoo! Hong Kong Limited (Information Technology)