Malaysia extends Movement Control Order in some states, eases back on 10km limit travel but maintains interstate travel ban
The Movement Control Order (MCO) in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang has been extended for another two weeks from until March 4. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri said the other states that were under MCO previously will now be subjected to the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO), also effective to March 4. Perlis will now be the only state with Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) status. The Minister said that the latest move was decided following a risk assessment presented by the Health Ministry.
At the same time, Putrajaya also eased back on the 10 kilometre limit travel but retained intestate ban. Ismail Sabri said the government was exercising caution as it does not want a repeat of new travel-related clusters that formed last December when it eased up on travel. “Based on reports from the Ministry of Health the last time we relaxed the interstate travel ban, 11 or 12 clusters emerged nationwide from travellers moving around the country.